In this ever changing real estate market, it is always important as a seller to give yourself a competitive advantage. With the rise of social media, and the access to the abundance of inspiration at our finger tips, buyers will become more particular and aware about what they want their personal space to feel like. As a seller, you cannot satisfy the needs and particular styles of every future buyer, but you can give yourself a fair chance at getting the best offer possible by making these easy and relatively inexpensive changes to your property before you put it on the market.
I am laying out the top 10 modifications below that do not require the assistance of a professional contractor. I wanted to provide changes that were accessible to everyone regardless of your budget, so here we go!
- De-clutter and simplify your space: always remember less is more when you are getting your property show ready. Remove as much clutter and excessive personal belongings as possible.
- Fresh coat of a neutral paint color: if you painted your living a bright color, or used a unicorn wallpaper in the powder bath, this is a good time to select a neutral paint color, and go over those areas that are very unique to only you and your taste.
- Upgrade light fixtures: if you are on a tight budget, replace light fixtures that are a focal point in the room first.
- Swap out outdated plumbing fixtures in your kitchen and master bathroom.
- Upgrade cabinet hardware: if you are unable to upgrade your cabinetry , simply changing the door knobs/handles can help update the cabinets quickly and inexpensively.
- Upgrade door knobs on interior doors: simply changing out the hardware on your doors will help elevate outdated interior doors.
- Clean up landscaping: you don’t have to spend a lot of money to upgrade your landscaping, but investing some money in cleaning up weeds, over grown grass, and filling empty areas with a few plants or planters will definitely pay off.
- Neutralize the rooms: if for example you are using the living room as a gym, it is a good time to remove and store that equipment. you dont necessarily have to stage the living room, but having the area empty is better than have it filled with gym equipment. Most people have a hard time visualizing how they can use a space when it is being occupied in a particular way already.
- Throw an updated rug over old outdated carpet. Of course it is possible that a buyer will realize that the carpet will need to be changed, but using an updated rug can provide enough of a distraction, that they can move past that and realize its an easy fix, and can be worked around with a use of a rug until they are ready to change it out.
- Never underestimate the power of a clean home, with a fresh scented candle! Make sure to have your home clean and smelling good before every showing. The toilets, showers, tub, floors, etc should be as clean as possible.